Popular Posts

28 June 2010

Book Review: Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism

Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism by Georgia Byng

As another Goodreads reviewer wrote, "I despise reading about bullies. And if I do have to read about them, there better be a good payoff in the end." 

The payoff was there but it was way late and a dollar short. 

I found none of the characters to be likable enough to inspire my attention and the moral, the lesson, the moment of redemption, remorse and reconfiguring, was not boldly drawn so as to make up for the pages and pages and pages of selfish, irresponsible behavior perpetrated by all of the book's characters. 

It was readable. And the story was interesting, if purposefully odd in its Charles Dickens orphan meets A Star is Born. But I, like the reviewer quoted above, would have quit looooong before the end had I not read that there WAS a moral. 

I'm glad I kept reading. But this is not one for kids who aren't really paying attention to each word. This is a book that must be finished or the lesson becomes "do whatever you want whenever you want as long as it makes you happy." Not a good lesson, that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment