Popular Posts

11 April 2011

Book Review: The Big Sleep

The Big SleepThe Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book uses its prose as carefully as an out-of-work showgirl uses her last good pair of stockings, though sometimes it seems that armies of sluggish minutes drag by while you're reading.  And, sometimes, the plot fell apart like a bride's pie crust.  I found the characters more unbelievable than a four-ace poker hand and as seedy as a spring garden. Though I read this on a crisp morning, with just enough snap in the air to make life seem simple and sweet, at times my soul felt as empty as a scarecrow's pockets.   The plot is heavier than a dead man, which is heavier than a broken heart.  But the writing was worth it; a metaphoric plethora.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment