Popular Posts

12 November 2011

Book Review The Three Musketeers


The Three MusketeersThe Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Rereading in my middle age;  I flipped between two translations the Bantam classic translation by Lowell Blair and the Tor Publications anonymous translation, discovered and introduced by Steven Brust.  The Tor edition was highly recommended as being the closest to capturing the clever language of the original French but I found it so clunky and impregnable that I lost the story-line.  When I switched back to the Blair translation, the story came alive once more.


There have been a million stage and screen adaptations focusing on the diamond tags but I found myself wondering why someone hasn't made a psychological thriller out of the Lady de Winter/Fenton section.  Creepy as hell, she is.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment