Popular Posts

15 December 2011

Book Review Julie and Julia


Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment KitchenJulie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Eh.

But I read the whole thing.  The rags to riches of an early blogger intrigues me.  And she started a trend, right?  We're all now trying to find the schtick that we can blog about so that we can write a book and hang out in our pajamas.  But Julie Powell just did it to do it.  And it changed her life.

I wanted to come over to her apartment and clean.  Several times.  I laughed out loud.  Several times.  The lobster chapter rang home heartily, as I remember not being able to eat lobster as a youth in Jamaica because I couldn't stand the idea that we boiled them alive.  Me too, Julie.  Me too.

The insertions of snippets of Julia Child's life were nice but not well-formed;  they didn't really help the narrative in the way I think they were designed to but I still enjoyed getting a little glimpse and think that perhaps I should read more Julia Child.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment