Popular Posts

15 June 2015

Book Review: Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm only to section three. But I'm already so confused and tired, I'm not sure I'm going to make it much farther. And I love this era of history. I once went to the National Portrait gallery in London and cried a little in front of the portrait of Anne Boleyn.

But this book seems to be failing to capture any of the magic I've found in that time period and its people through reading "boring" history and biography.

Also, Ms. Mantel (or perhaps I should address this complaint to Ms. Mantel's copy editor) please consider replacing the pronoun "he" with a name once in a while?  The refrain going through my head the entire time I read now is a line from the play A My Name is Alice; "He did it. He did it. HE did it! And he knows who he is."

Except I don't know who "he" is most of the time. Dammit.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment