Popular Posts

08 August 2021

The River of Doubt - Book Review

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest JourneyThe River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The level of research it took to create this account astounds me. So much stuffed into this book; history, geology, anthropology, botany, ecology, plate tectonics, evolution. Biography is secondary. Or even tertiary.

I spent most of this book in disbelief that people would launch themselves into the Amazon rainforest so woefully unprepared. TAKE THE CANOES, DAMMIT!

And almost as an aside, Millard tells the history of the Cinta Larga, which the footnotes cite as coming from "author's interview." Like she just marched into the Amazon to talk to them. I want a book that tells THAT story next, please.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment