Popular Posts

21 April 2010

Book Review: Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream: A Day in the Life of Your Body

Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream: A Day in the Life of Your Body
by Jennifer Ackerman


This is one of those books that has so many little interesting scientific tidbits, presented in an easy-to-comprehend fashion, that you find yourself reading it aloud to whomever is sitting next to you (which was quite popular at the coffee shop ... but I digress).

I found myself wanting more detail sometimes but knew that more detail would have probably caused me to glaze over and drool out of inability to understand high-level scientific concepts.

The chapter on natural human stressors and our modern world was fantastic and very enlightening, as was the chapter on sleep and the idea of "first sleep" and "second sleep," of which I'd never heard until a couple of years ago when I was reading Pepys (our modern "consolidated sleep" may be an artificial byproduct of artificial lighting). These two subjects, in particular, caused me to consider some changes in how I approach the world. For the better. Self-help in disguise, perhaps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment